China fights back against US accusations of blocking WTO technology deal

Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng: “It is irresponsible for the U.S. to discard the consensus that has been agreed by most of the countries only because the deal cannot meet its own requirement for several products.”                                                                              BEJING – Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng denounced the United States as “irresponsible” on Sunday after Washington accused China of jeopardising a deal that aims to cut tariffs on technology products, saying Washington had disappointed participants in the talks.

U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said on Thursday that China’s demands to exempt more than 100 products from a technology trade deal risked leading to a breakdown in the negotiations.

“It is irresponsible for the U.S. to discard the consensus that has been agreed by most of the countries only because the deal cannot meet its own requirement for several products,” Gao said in a statement emailed to Reuters.

China, he said, had pushed forward negotiations to expand the Information Technology Agreement (ITA) and proven its willingness to improve its offer several times during the talks.

Gao said U.S. demands far exceeded what was acceptable to Chinese companies.

“The U.S. is unwilling to make any necessary concessions and has turned a blind eye to the big differences between Chinese and U.S. firms, ignoring the appeals by the Chinese side,” he said.

He said due account should be taken of the different levels of development of the countries involved in the negotiations.

European Trade Commissioner Karel de Gucht last week said China’s demands were the main outstanding issue in the talks.

The talks seek to expand a 16-year-old World Trade Organization agreement and update it for the Internet era, cutting the import cost of items like personal computers, laptops, telephones, fax machines, computer software and semi-conductors                                                         

GenSan’s de la Torre wins via KO in Pacquiao undercard.

COTAI ARENA. Thousands are in Cotai Arena to watch the Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios fight. Photo by Josh Villanueva/Rappler

MACAU – Fight day is off to a good start as the first Filipino boxer who entered the ring today comes off with a dominant victory.

Harmonito de la Torre of General Santos City disposed of his opponent, Indonesia’s Jason Butar-Butar in just 3 rounds. The 19-year-old de la Torre knocked out the 25-year-old Butar-Butar halfway through the 6-round Super Featherweight fight to advance his record to 11-0.

This is his 6th knockout win.

The undefeated de la Torre was dominant since the beginning, leading in two of three judges’ scorecards before he dropped his older opponent at the Cotai Arena here at the Venetian Hotel in Macau.

De la Torre was trained and advised by Renie Gabawa, Dexter Ran, Jim Claude Mananquil and John Ray Mananquil.

His was the first of 10 fights today.

Two more Filipinos are slated to fight today including super welterweight Pampanga native Dan Nazareno Jr, who will challenge British Liam Vaughan, and eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao who will headline the Main Event against younger Mexican-American Brandon Rios.

Rappler is in Macau to bring to you the action as it takes place. Follow along on our live blog below orclick here for the full live blogging experience.

The aftermath of Yolanda: A 360º look

 
BY FUNG YU
POSTED ON 11/24/2013 8:32 AM  | UPDATED 11/24/2013 5:05 PM
 
   
Comments
 
39
   
0
   
LinkedIn
 
0
   
Pinterest
 
56
   
Share
 

TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines – Thousands of images have been taken of the disaster zones of Tacloban City and Palo in Leyte, and Guiuan in Eastern Samar, among the hardest hit by Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) last November 8.

The scale of the calamity is most felt in the disaster zones – but for many of us, we can only imagine the magnitude of destruction caused by the typhoon.

Photographer Fung Yu brings us 360-degree views of scenes in Tacloban, Palo, and Guiuan. Yu took these images when he visited the areas earlier this week.

The 360-degree panoramas he took – a total of 44 – show not just destruction, but also the slow recovery in these areas.

Over 1,600 Still Missing, Death Toll From Typhoon Yolanda May Reach 7,000

TACLOBAN CITY – The total fatalities from typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) has jumped to 5,235 with 1,613 still missing after over two weeks, marking a possibility of the death toll reaching 7,000.

The super typhoon now comes second to the 1976 tsunami on the southern island of Maguindanao as the deadliest recorded natural disaster to strike the Philippines.

“About 8,000 were dead or missing. About 10,000 were injured and about 90,000 were homeless,” a 1978 report for the Special Committee on Tsunami Warning System, the National Committee on Marine Sciences and National Science Development Board, intended primarily to “present findings about this tsunami for a better understanding of it and that steps may be taken to lessen loss to lives and property in future tsunamis.”, reported Mindanews.

The tsunami affected the coastal areas of Maguindanao, Sultan Kudarat, Lanao del Sur, Lanao del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Basilan, Sulu and the cities of Cotabato, Zamboanga and Pagadian.

Col. Dickson Hermoso of Cotabato City of the Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff recalls his experience in 2011 that he was 18 years old and a sophomore in college during the earthquake and tsunami, “I have a vivid memory how that strong earthquake and tsunami destroyed the place. We were ROTC cadets who got those trapped in the collapsed buildings (Sagittarius Hotel, Sultan Hotel, Southseas Dept. Store, etc.). We also joined in the retrieval of bodies of so many people who died because of the tsunami along Linek seashore.”


The typhoon Yolanda catastrophe triggered a magnanimous international aid effort, with many countries and relief organizations rushing over to deliver food, water and health services to over four million people who tragically faced the brunt of the typhoon.
Valerie Amos, the UN humanitarian chief, visited the disaster zones and imparted to the world that “Much more needs to be done. Food, clean water and shelter remain the top priorities.”

Hence, a UN appeal for funds was raised from $301 million to $348 million owing to the enormous number of displaced people who, unfortunately, were still under the mercy of bad weather conditions. Amos warned in particular of the dangers for babies, children and mothers alike.

At a news conference at the UN headquarters, Amos revealed that over 1.5 million children being at risk of acute malnutrition, and more or less 800,000 pregnant and nursing mothers in dire need of nutritional help.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health (DOH) through Assistant Secretary Dr. Eric Tayag, relayed to the public that all wounds sustained in Yolanda should be considered tetanus-prone; meaning all patients should be given both anti-tetanus serum plus tetanus toxoid to prevent more deaths.

SourceSourceSource 3                                                                                                                                                                                  

Pamela Martin

This is just unforgivable and this Mother has more patients and goodness in her heart than I do, because I would have to admit I would want to hurt these sorry kids and their parents for raising such hateful brats. There is absolutely no excuse for hurting someone like this. Praying with all I have for this young lady and her family! And that GOD punish the ones that caused this!!!!

Interior House Design

Does your room reflect your personality | Interior design ideas
interiorhousedesign.net
The hues of a room wall and ceiling helps to determine whether interior design is successful or not. Here are certain colors that you need to keep in mind.