Post your CV on Naukrigulf Today. Search from over 1000 Gulf Jobs.

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. -Salt water was his life, according to the family of Henry “Butch” Konietzky, who died Monday night after he was exposed to bacteria in the Halifax River.
“It’s just horrifying, it’s just totally horrifying,” said Debbie Stack, Konietzky’s sister-in-law.

Stack said it took just 28 hours for the bacteria to kill Konietzky.

“They tried multiple antibiotics, but nothing was touching it — nothing even phased it,” Stack said.

Konietzky, 59, was walking knee deep in the river on Saturday, setting crab traps.

The next day, he woke up and noticed what looked like a bug bite on his leg.

“They did not take it serious until it started festering and quickly, and then he started feeling ill,” said Stack.

Konietzky was in the emergency room by Sunday night. On Monday, he was gone.

Doctors said Konietzky was exposed to Vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria that quickly spread through his body and shut down his kidneys and liver.

Experts said the bacteria lives in warm brackish or seawater.

Two cases of the same illness that killed Konietzky, have been reported in Volusia and Flagler counties in the last month.

Health officials are now urging people to avoid eating raw shellfish and going into the water with open wounds. Read more via WKMG…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s